Thursday, February 10, 2011

On Abortion

"LATEST HIDDEN VIDEO BY ABORTION FOES SHOWS BRONX CLINIC OF PLANNED PARENTHOOD" Headline NY TIMES FEB. 10 2011

I intended to stick with Egypt but then this abortion thing hit me. Please indulge me this moment.

On Abortion

Nothing stirs my anger as
The “Live Action” whacko show at Planned Parenthood.
Make believe pimps prostitutes, children
Abortion for 13-14 year olds. No We don’t do that.
Live Action out to destroy Planned Parent-------.

They just don’t get it. Abortion,
A women’s body, her right to control it.

Long long ago a little boys mother
After the oatmeal, kissed him off to PS 34.
With an extra long hug said, “Neighbor will make lunch.”
Never ever happened. Never!

It’s the month of May.
Empty junk strewn lots. The North Bronx
A sea of wild flowers amidst the junked cars.
Skipped to school through the daises.

Three o'clock home, lunch neighbor still there.
Something is terribly, terribly wrong.
Try as she may, neighbor’s tears give her away.

“Everything will be alright, everything will be alright” she pleads.
A cold shiver of fear took hold of me.
Where’s my papa? Where’s papa? More neighbors appear.
He’ll be here soon, he’ll be here soon, he’ll be---- it died away a mumble

A shadow of my big papa comes home. No,
No hidden Hershey in the vest pocket.
In his arms, through his tears. “You will have to be brave.
You will have to be brave!

"Mother is gone on a long trip.” Where papa where? Can’t I go too?
Along our garden path, papa walks, bursts into tears.
The garden wall blood red from papas head.
A big man, rapt into a human ball.

Decades pass. Mama’s “trip” abortion alley.
Surgical tool, wire coat hanger. “Live Action” damn you!
Stupid bastards. Return of the back alley killers. Sorry,
I try to understand I really do. But my papa’s tears, won’t let me.

2 comments:

RogerR said...

Mr. Schrank: You sent this moving poem to our Bronx Health Center. We would like to use it further. Can we have your permission?
Roger Rathman
roger.rathman@ppnyc.org

Anonymous said...

The first of my several reads of your abortion piece directly bypasses my brain-- heading for my heart and gut. Your devastating abortion piece grips, sickens and turns the truth of these hideous laws, made by truly stupid beings, into open wounds. I’m moved to tears and nearly retching vomit as I grasp the horrific pain of this loss. I’m so sorry. Its very well written and unfortunately—the damn truth.

May no woman or man have to make such choices.

my best,
kaima