Monday, December 27, 2010

Blizzard of 2010

I was really prepared to do a blog on what happens in Washington Comes 2011? Then this Blizzard arrived with a bang. Now I am all tied up as natures fury dominates the scene. I yield to nature. It is blowing 40-60 mile an hour on our “anemometer” (wind speed indicator.)

Snow piled up over our front door but Kate managed to clear it. I was amazed that she was able to do this as she is trying to recover from Limes disease. (Kate is on a daily infusion of Anti-Biotic. I am learning “Infusion procedure’s as her helper in attendance.)

The winter has its own beauty here on the bay. There is also a real disadvantage in our isolation. It means we need to make sure we can get a car out or an Emergency vehicle in. Tonight we hope the snow plows will come through. Tomorrow our driveway plow guy will plow us out and all will be well for the Blizzard of 2010.

My son Fred, lives in Madison Wisconsin and knows a lot more about winter than I do. He has been disturbed over the fact that people have totally misconstrued the effects of Global Warming. Some time ago he insisted that I start calling it, Global Climate Change. As snow and cold have gotten worse in recent years people say,”see I told you that Global warning was more baloney from that elite crowd from New York,” that’s why we need to call it “Climate Change.” Okay, I agree.

Fred in this Sunday Times there’s an article “BUNDLE UP,IT’S GLOBAL WARMING.” The Article explains how the Jet Stream, that circulation of air five to seven miles above the earth is picking up increasing moisture from the defrosted Arctic Ocean and dumping on the Northern Hemisphere. “In winter this change in flow sends warm air north from subtropical oceans into Alaska and Greenland, but it also pushes cold air south from the Arctic on the east side of the Rockies. Meanwhile across Eurasia, cold air from Siberia spills south into East Asia and even southwestward into Europe.

This is why there were thousands of stranded air travelers sleeping on the floor at Heathrow Airport. This is just an attempt to get us thinking about Climate Change. We are facing an increase in flooding, drought, snow, rain, mud slides in places it was never seen before, That is the tragedy of Global Climate Change.

The Blizzard continues to blow away out here. I was reminded that birds need to find food and water blizzard or not. I looked out at my Finch Feeder and sure enough there in the middle of the night, with light from our living room, was this shiny little Goldfinch hanging on to the feeder for dear life. I often think about what animal species are going to be able to survive the terrible damage that the humans have done to their habitat. Yes, we will survive this Blizzard. It may be one more warning about things to come.

It is now Monday afternoon and the Plow Guys did clear our driveway of a couple of feet of snow. I hope by tomorrow I will be able to get my Station Wagon out. I can easily suffer from bunk fever. Got to be able to go! Never mind where? My best from Snowbound Bob

No comments: