Monday, October 5, 2009

More Thoughts on Fearful Minds

In my last blog comparing the depression of the 1930’s with the present recession, I left out a very important variable that did not exist back then. That of course is the Internet. In the 30’s I was doing my “blog” on a mimeograph machine.

Back then we called them “leaflets.” It required typing out your message on a master gel sheet. It was then wound around a drum of the mimeograph machine where it was also inked. A ream of paper was put in the machine and you cranked away as each sheet was printed. The leaflets were distributed either on the street, in front of a factory gate or in mailboxes by walking around until all the copies were gone. This took hours and hours of work. Even then you hardly ever knew who read them and who dumped them. Wow! How that has changed.

As I sit here at home overlooking the Moriches Bay, I am typing out my blog. Then at the press of a key it goes out to how many people? I really don’t know. Many hundreds, thousands, millions of people are doing the same thing. And then there are the web-sites--The Huffington Post, Slate and on and on. What is the impact of all this, what should I call it--news opinions, thoughts, gossip, information, dribble? I don’t know precisely. I know it is all having an impact, but what that is I don’t know. I need some of my sociology, psychology mavins, or anyone else who has an opinion, to do a guest blog and tell us what is known about the impact of the Internet on our society?

In the meantime I was very much impressed with a David Brooks column in the Times of Oct. 2, 2009. The subject was very similar to my blog re. “Fearful Minds.” Brooks says the following about the right wing nuts on cable--Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity, et al. In the last Presidential race they were going after McCain hammer and tongs because he’s not a true conservative. And the result? Comes New Hampshire and McCain wins. Next comes South Carolina and the “jocks” (Brooks’ term, not mine) hammer away at McCain because they want Romney. And Brooks points out again there is no army of followers that these Cable News whackos can produce. McCain wins South Carolina.

Quoting Brooks,”So what is the theme of our history lesson? It is the story of remarkable volume and utter weakness. It is the story of media mavens who claim to represent a hidden majority but who in fact represent a mere niche -- even in the Republican Party. It is a story as old as “The Wizard of Oz,” of grand illusions and small men behind the curtain.” Brooks sights many more examples of how these guys just got it wrong.

This is not to say that we should ignore their message of hate. No, we need to react to it forcefully and fast. That’s what John Kerry failed to do on Swift boat allegations and it well might have cost him the election. Yet I believe he would have lost it anyhow because he, like so many other Democrats, just are not at home in the world of Blue Collar working class folk anymore. They used to be the solid support that the Democrats could always count on. No more. Okay, I just wanted to give a smart Republican, David Brooks, his due. He still knows how to conduct a civil argument about issues we may absolutely disagree about. These days I am grateful for that.

Would love to hear some ideas from you regarding the Internet’s effect on society.
Thanks Kate N.H.W.Y.

No comments: