Saturday, October 20, 2007

Upon Becoming 90

Look, this has been my 90th birthday week and I am reeling from the outpouring of love and affection from dear dear friends from Washington, Florida, Brooklyn, Metropolitan Opera and others. So here is a poem I recently wrote on a napkin in a restaurant at the Shinnecock Canal. This is a Long Island South Shore commercial fisherman's wharf. The boats are all rocking on the slightest wave action. As I gaze out at the scene this is what I wrote.


THE GULLS

Kenny Mock

The dock builder

Pounded old phone poles

Into the sandy bay bottom.

He thinks he built docks

For the fishing fleet to nest.

Little does he know

He has created places

For seagulls to sit and wait.

Something the gulls know

To wait patiently

For the Mary Anne or Primedancer

Their dinner bring.

I worry are they

Stranded on their poles

As the Easter Island lookouts?

They wait and wait and wait

When the last of us has departed

What happens then?


About 50 years ago in another time of change there was another period of poetry writing.


SUMMERTIME HEAT

I walked on winters path

Now in summertime heat

Has it been so long?

For the tall grass

I could not see

The sun go home.

No comments: