Saturday, September 17, 2011

Slouching to 94

Sometimes I feel like Old Gray Mare
That’s a song. A trusty old Mare
Ain’t what she used to be
Neither is this trusty old Stallion.
Ain’t what he used to be.
I try hard pay no attention.
Can’t get that song outta my head.

Okay, Kate’s on girls night out.
I go to my Old Steak House
Memory dinner. Dear departed Mike.

“Schrank come on Steak & Boilermakers
What say?” (Only union blokes at Ford Foundation.)
“Christ, nobody here has a clue on boilermakers.”
Whiskey and beer Whiskey and beer.

Last boilermaker? Maybe twenty years.
Wow I’m flat on my ass. Can’t eat the steak.
Still gotta get home. Old Gray Stallion ain’t what he usetobe.

Damm the reminders. Can’t digest all that meat.
Can’t swing a 8 pound hammer no more.
Yeah, I’ll wear the helmet, no matter
Can’t ride the bike no more .outa balance.
Shush, can make a little bit of old time love.

Nice warm bath. How the hell to get outa tub?
Changed many, many flat tires. Honestly I can.
“Damm nuts are now to tight. “I told you, call Triple A.”

Pushups forget, subway stairs forget, Merry go-round okay
Roller Coaster? Forgetit. Forget the Appalachian trail. How about
A walk around the block? “Make sure you take your cane.”

Danced in 2011 New Years Eve. How about 2012 ?
“Better do somthin about those swollen feet.”
I know it’s MIND OVER MATTER. MIND KNOWS IT.
Somebody, tell Old Gray Stallion’s feet?

2 comments:

bill kornblum said...

Once out of nature I shall never take
My bodily form from any natural thing,
But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
Of hammered gold and gold enamelling
To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;
Or set upon a golden bough to sing
To lords and ladies of Byzantium
Of what is past, or passing, or to come

You are one of those golden birds, Bob

Basil Whiting said...

WONDERFUL, BOB!! YOUR EXAMPLE WILL BE MY GUIDING STAR AS/IF I MAKE IT ANYWHERE AS LONG AS YOU HAVE.
BAZE