Sunday, August 21, 2011

Four Years of Blogging "Lord Lord Lord"

Feels like folk song “The Grey Goose”

“They par boiled him lord lord lord and the saw couldn’t cut him lord------, the axe couldn’t chop him lord -------. The last time I seen him he was fl-yin cross the ocean. Goodbye to the Grey Goose.” Not sure why but blogging is somehow is like that. You just keep try-in and I’m never sure where its going to end up. Who cares except me?

This is my 4th anniversary of blogs. 215 later. That’s amazing. How did it happen? Well, you know it all started as a challenge from a Grandson and Son In Law. Both computer geeks. “Grandpa you seem to know some-thin about everything why don’t you write a blog?” Aha, there was the challenge. Nothing Grandpa likes more than a challenge. What is a blog? Son in law Robert has one on Poker Playing in Las Vegas. Read it. Wow that was really interesting.

Can I do it? How often do you have to say some thing? Why would anyone care? Yee Gods there are a million blogger's out there. Do we need another one? No, The issue is do you have anything to say? So far my answer has been, yes indeed. Ask my patient wife Kate. If the truth be told she’d say “ Except when he’s thinking about it or writing his blog, or working in the wood-shop he never shuts up.”

As I look back over the four years I am beginning to see patterns. Some friends have suggested I bring some themes together and do a book. Ah, a book is a different species from a blog. Oh, sure you could just string the blogs together sort like on a wash-line but that would quickly get boring. I’m going to see how the themes line up and then try to look at what I might say that would be of some interest for me and the reader.

That's how you do it. First it has to have interest for the writer, A lesson. A well known documentary film maker working with me on a Ford assembly line said, “Schrank, lets stop your tired and the camera doesn’t lie.” In some way writing is like the camera. If the writer is not excited by the subject why should the reader be? However in the meantime.

I do think, maybe ruminate a lot about everyday occurrences both in the news and in everyday life. That’s because long ago I learned that no matter what news might be shaking the world somehow or other everyday life goes on.

Ahaa, It was a cold winter day in 1936. Fortunately I was working, as a Plumbers Helper. (I really wanted to be on a March to Washington with an upraised fist demanding Unemployment Insurance. Fact is I wasn’t unemployed!) Working to clear a clogged up sewer main in a 30 story apartment building I got the greatest shit shower ever poured on a man. A bunch of plumbers had one hell of a laugh trying to clean me up as they hosed me down. First of many ha-zings in the world of plumbers.

After that I figured at any moment of any day somebody somewhere's is in a shit shower from a stopped up sewer line or a farmer spreading a similar material in a meadow, or someone peeling potatoes in a restaurant, or Firemen cooking a meal in the Firehouse or a bunch of stock brokers on a computer screen. Coal miners a mile down mining coal. Or women getting their hair curled in a beauty parlor. And on and on. All part of everyday life.

I guess on balance I like that gnawing curiosity that is always sending me to go learn. What is it, how it works, why is it here, who invented it, how is it made, what makes it fly, when will it crash and on and on and on.

Oh, I can see a blog on Curiosity. Or maybe on “Leadership and why we haven’t any.” Or why have men been losing their testosterone? Growing mouth beards instead. How come the very smart Israelis keep screwing things up? Why are we having 15 month election campaigns? Stuff like that.

See what I mean about curiosity? Stay tuned. I’m sure there’s a “Curiosity” blog in the making. That’s how it works. You just suddenly start thinking about a word, a thought, a happening and why and why. A blog is born. Happy anniversary. Love to you all wherever you are. Roberto

2 comments:

Jean Freeman said...

Congratulations, Bob! I can't believe it's been four years either, but I sure am glad you do this.

Shoshana said...

Bravo, Roberto. I look forward to the next four years worth. Your ruminations are nourishment for all. Keep them coming!