Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tornadoes as Portent of Things to Come!

Yes, I am aware of the fact that we have had other periods of severe Tornados. I remember 1974 as I had occasion to travel to Xenia Ohio and saw first hand the devastation. It was an incredible sight almost like a flood I witnessed in upstate NY back in the 1940s.

Since the the impact of Global Warming, now called Climate change, we have been trying to convince the world that we need to take action now to at least slow down the dumping of millions of pounds of fossil fuel gas into the atmosphere.

I certainly don’t want to get into an argument of whether or not this has happened before. In that case we are just experiencing another period of extreme weather that has happened repeatedly over time. No I don’t want to go there because that’s a dead end. If I learned anything in science 101 is if you end up in dead ends the question has not been framed properly. Science abhors dead ends.

What I would suggest is we look at these phenomena and ask the question. If it turns out that this is a result of Climate Change is this the kind of catastrophes that will become regular occurrences? Here is where I simply don’t understand the deniers. Okay I'll grant you it’s an iffy question. Problem is if we continue to simply deny it and in fact it is part of climate Change it will be far to late to do anything about it. That’s the tragedy i see unfolding right before my tired old 94 year eyes.

I remember so well my blue water sailing days. (Oh how I miss em.) On occasions I was caught in unexpected thunderstorms. It brought me very close to losing the boat. As well endangering the lives of sailing friends. As a result I became very cautious before setting out to make sure I wasn’t just “daring the elements.” Yes, I had sailing friends who called me “chicken.” That was all right as I said “I’d rather be clucking than in the soup.”

IF, the predictions regarding the impact of Climate Change, made by the worlds best scientific minds just happens to turnout to be right then what? Then the tornadoes, floods, drought, fires across Texas, rising sea levels and severe food shortages will create a hell on earth. This is why I care a lot less about the National Debt than I do about the Climate Change catastrophe. The former can be fixed. In the case of the latter it will be a phenomena of to little and far to late. The consequences absolutely unimaginable. That is the kind of future I do not want to leave to my grandchildren.

How do we wake up folks to realize we are on a very deadly path?

1 comment:

Macaroni said...

We wake up by reading articles like this one then supporting anyone in Congress who agrees. Thanks, Robert.