Friday, January 7, 2011

Remembrance Happy New Year

Of late things have been springing back to mind as if to say, “yes this really happened and it is a story I want to share.” (Pssst, don’t worry I’ll get back to the political mess soon enough.)

It’s a New Year Eve 2010 and I am going to let it have its way. I don’t know if this is a universal. With every New Years Eve, from somewhere inside me comes an automatic review of things past. This time around it was the power of dreams. New Years Eve was another wondrous night of best friends, feasting, dancing, hugging, dancing all rapped in the wonder of love. And of course drinking. Probably to much. That’s normal too.Then came a scary dream on the first night of 2011.

I am out in the cold searching for our departed cat Aldo. Unable to find him I’m desperate. Where is he? How could I have lost him? I awake. Think it through. What am I losing? Aldo was part of our family. The sudden loss of my mother as a child cause me to be obsessive about family. It represents security and safety. Any family related loss sets off high anxiety. Okay I got it. I am thankful for the ability to pay attention to dreams and learn to read them. How did I learn that?

It was in the late 50s I was in a mid life crisis. I was lucky to have found a “dream Guru." Ralph who became my guide and teacher. He would help me unlock the secret hurts that were hidden away in dreams. It was the beginning of an ongoing journey of understanding what my dreams could tell me. Being a born skeptic I thought, well I know he’s going to go over all that Freudian Unconscious stuff. I had been there and didn’t really get it. (Freud’s work was a remarkable discovery.) No we didn’t go there. But maybe we did? Just didn’t call it that.

Ralph asked, “what have you dreamed lately?” “This one has been a regular nightmare. I am going somewhere in the City. I park my car. Go to a party, meeting or just a visit . Time to go home sometimes with a friend some time alone. Start to look for where I’m sure I parked the car. Not there. Keep looking. Up one street down the next. Get desperate. car is stolen, the police took it. I wake up in another anxious sweat.

Ralph laughed, said “so who’s the car? and who’s lost?” “Oh, you don’t understand parking a car in New York City is an art. Only born and bred city people like me know the how to of parking.” Ralph had a little whimsy grin. “Now you really believe that would make you sweat and grieve looking for parking or looking for your car? What is the car to you?”

“ Are you kidding? I got my first car when I was 16 and have had one ever since. My car is my chariot to freedom. As a boy after my mother died I have always had an escape plan just in case I was to be sent off to an orphan asylum.” “So do you think the car might be you and you feel lost?" I was overcome from that hit in the gut. I left in tears, I am lost as I don’t know who I am. The dreams would soon help me out of that trap. It was in those dream sessions that I learned to keep a dream book. It sits right there on my bookshelf and is invaluable as a reference.My Dream Book is full of weird and amazing stories. A dream can tell us things that for some dam reason we just can’t tell ourselves.”

Sometimes I go back over my Dream book to check if any of those old dreams are returning? I am reminded, all dreams are not merely a reflection of deep seated hidden woes. Some dreams can be very reassuring. In 1975 on an Outward Bound trip down the Rogue river I had a wonderful dream. I was part of a Traveling Circus. My covered wagon was full of crowns like the kings wore. Each Crown signified something good I had done. As I wore each one before an audience I had to say how it was won. It was a pot puree of things. Like going shopping for my aunt, cleaning the furnace for my uncle. Helping Papa change the spark plugs on the car. And for that very night on the Rogue for helping a number of the women to build a shelter out of a piece of plastic. (They had never gone camping.)

Jimmy Durante, comedienne from my childhood referred to the “unconscious as “the subnoxious” It isn’t always so. It can reveal to us many of our most hidden fears and doubts. In New Years 2011 I raise my glass in thanks to all those great teachers who helped me unlock those nasty little secrets hiding out in my dream vault. Salute, Cheers, Prosit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could figure out how to leave comments on your blog, Roberto -- your writing always shows such courage and integrity and love -- I am so glad to read it -- Happiest of New Years to you and to Kathy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob. I like the idea of one of your earlier blogs “make me do it”. However, it seems to me that the American people cannot relate to this concept. Watching BBC there is never a day when people in Europe and other countries are not violently protesting injustices. The question then remains why are we not doing the same thing. Here are my thoughts on this subject. Number one is that we have never seen a Viet Cong on 42nd St. (though we are getting close to it). What is even more important is that capitalism sells the idea that if you do not make it your son will. (sometimes, even though some people say that to believe in the American dream you have to be asleep). I was born in Vienna in the twenties and grew up to machine gun fire in the Karl Marx Hof. In growing up I also witnessed two brothers killing each other due to different political views. Politics is a much more serious business in the rest of the world. Even a sport like soccer cannot be compared to baseball or foot ball as far as intensity is concerned.
I have to admit though that the American dream worked for me. I came to America in 1939 after having been saved by a Christian man on “Crystal Night”. I joined the USA Army in 1942 and served 3 years in the South Pacific even though I wanted to fight in Europe. I worked in the business world into my fifties when I decided to go back to school, never having gone to High School. Today I have a Master in Social Work and a Ph.D. in Philosophy. I am a trained Psychoanalyst and am still working. However, I no longer believe in Freudian theory and practice on a spiritual level.
I feel like I know you Bob, as my wife Marcella Bakur went through the Ford Program with you. She is very admiring of you and the kind of work you are and were involved in. William Weiner

marcella bakur weiner said...

Bob dear - 50-odd years ago- you and I in Ruth Kriesberg's Special Bacc. class- at Brooklyn College. As much as we were in class, the "super special" time was spent by me, in your old, old, car - more so than mine, discussing politics, the world at large and our personal lives-of-the-moment. Your instructions to me were "get out of this marriage." I listened - your wisdom was - deep and wide--remarried I followed your suggested route: am now and have been for many years- a Ph.D.clinical psychologist, doing what I love, including writing 2l books and 60 articles; you were the inspiration for it all. My 2nd and longtime marriage -2 sons- happy and fruitful. sO- dear Bob - would love, love, love- to HEAR from. Love, Marcella Bakur (as you knew me) now, add "Weiner.": e-mail: marwil7ll@aol.com

marcella bakur weiner said...

Bob dear - 50-odd years ago- you and I in Ruth Kriesberg's Special Bacc. class- at Brooklyn College. As much as we were in class, the "super special" time was spent by me, in your old, old, car - more so than mine, discussing politics, the world at large and our personal lives-of-the-moment. Your instructions to me were "get out of this marriage." I listened - your wisdom was - deep and wide--remarried I followed your suggested route: am now and have been for many years- a Ph.D.clinical psychologist, doing what I love, including writing 2l books and 60 articles; you were the inspiration for it all. My 2nd and longtime marriage -2 sons- happy and fruitful. sO- dear Bob - would love, love, love- to HEAR from. Love, Marcella Bakur (as you knew me) now, add "Weiner.": e-mail: marwil7ll@aol.com

Robert Schrank said...

Marcella: If you come back to this sight just want you to know your e mail did not work. Sorry about that,RS

Basil Whiting said...

Wonderful, wonderful, BOb!!

Baze