Sunday, August 1, 2010

Is This a Conspiracy?

Back in March I wrote a blog called, “Pall Over the Land’ In it I suggested that the present economic crisis was not like the 1930ies depression. Major difference was the powerful political left that existed back then that no longer exists today.

What we are now experiencing is the emergence of the most conservative orthodox right wing. That is the real danger signal for democratic societies. A good example of orthodoxy gone berserk is a bill pending in the Israeli Knesset that declares that only the orthodox can decide who is and who isn’t a Jew. It is similar to the outcries being heard about who can or cannot become an American citizen.

Yet, there is a piece of economic news that I find very disturbing. From looking at economic indicators like the Stock Market or probably more important corporate profit one might get the impression that the worst of the economic crisis of 2008--9 is behind us. Here, I find something altogether different at work. With all the good economic news for the corporate world why isn’t there good news for the employment world? Lets look at any of the periodic economic crisis in the past 25 years and what do we find? With the upturn in the markets came a concomitant upturn in hiring. Why not now?

Here is where my conspiracy theory comes in. As any regular reader of my blog will recognize, I do believe there is a visceral underneath hatred of Barack Obama on the part of the corporate leaders. I might add that I have many reservations regarding Obama. Never the less, Obama’s recent mild criticisms of Wall Street gave the corporate world a rational for their hatred. “He’s against us.” Okay, so” we will hit back.” How do they do that? In spite of the economic uptick they will refuse to start hiring back their workforce. Thus keeping the unemployment rate right up there near ten percent. They figure that will certainly do Obama in comes the midterm election. The despicable part of this behavior is the price that the average job seeker has to pay for these corporate shenanigens.

Yupp, that’s my theory. Seems outrageous that the captains of capitalism, against there own best interest would let politics dominate their thinking by keeping the unemployment rate at 10 percent. How come that they can get away with this play? Remember my old friend, “social unrest.” Well there ain’t none because there is nobody to organize it. Yes, the Tea Party crowd have siphoned off some of the anger out there by directing it at the Obama administration thus deflecting it away from Wall Street and the big banks. Though I must admit that periodically I have noticed that the Tea Party “leaders” whoever that is at any moment will try to heard these cats back on message. They want the anger directed at Obama in order to get rid of the Administrations control of Congress. That's what I believe is the conspiracy and we need to be alert to what is really going on as regards the unemployment numbers.

3 comments:

Elaine Ercolano said...

ALAN GREENSPAN, to David Gregory on “Meet the Press” 8/1/10: “I think we're in a pause in a recovery, a modest recovery, but a pause in the modest recovery feels like a quasi-recession. Our problem basically is that we have a very distorted economy in the sense that there's been a significant recovery in a limited area of the economy, amongst high income individuals … Large banks, who are doing much better, and large corporations … are in excellent shape. The rest of the economy, small business, small banks, and a very significant amount of the labor force -- which is in tragic unemployment, long-term unemployment -- that is pulling the economy apart.”

Amazing that Alan Greenspan would be so public in admitting how the upper income folks are doing so well while the poor get poorer and the middle class loses ground daily. He's actually supporting the repeal of the Bush tax cuts for the top 2%. When I start agreeing with AG, it's a strange world. Yes I agree that corporate America is getting back at Obama especially for financial reform. What I don't get is why so many people purport to be pro-business when they so rarely benefit from the actions of business.

Anonymous said...

Bruce McIver just sent me your blog. I love your thinking. I see you have a Chinese fan club too!

Linda Romanelli Leahy said...

Bruce McIver just sent me your blog. I love the way you think. A question of soul was beautiful. Thanks.