Monday, June 1, 2009

The Boot Strap Problem

As being one who has been characterized as a “bootstrapped” I have become increasingly concerned about it implications. It was upon the publication of “Ten Thousand Working Days” in 1978 a review in the Harvard Business Review suggested that I was a real Horatio Alger success story. I had pulled myself up from a High School dropout to the glorious heights of success as a Ford Foundation Program Officer plus lots of other nifty achievements. In other word I had pulled myself up by my boot straps and for that I was a credit to our system and myself for being able to do it.

As I thought about it it did strike me as kind of strange for an old thirties radical being hailed as evidence that the capitalist system indeed does work. All one needs to do is work hard and overcome what ever adversity might be in your path and guess what you “can make it.”'

Man, is this a dangerous notion. It clearly suggests that those who don’t make it can only blame themselves. I of course do not believe that for a minute. There are so many variables that can decide who makes and who does not. I for instance did not have to deal with race or immigrant status. I came from a very literate work oriented culture. “Learn a trade and you can always get a job.” The world of radicals I grew up in were primarily skilled workers so I became an auto mechanic, machinist, tool maker, union official. My background prepared me for all of them. Besides I was in the right geographic location, New York City. Add to that, luck was on my side.

Which brings me to the Sonia Sotomayer’s nomination to the Supreme Court. My concern is not where she grew up. That’s interesting and I am glad for her. As in the great American success stories, she grew up poor in the Bronxdale Public Housing. If that is her major achievement then I know little or nothing about what she thinks or believes in. Yes she was part of the Puerto Rican Defense fund and thats a plus. I remember that organization from my days working for John Lindsey as Deputy Manpower Commissioner.

This brings me to Justice Thomas who also grew up poor. In his case the Dems. tried their darndest to find out what was his judicial philosophy and what did he believe in? Because he never was a judge we didn’t have a clue where he would fit in the political spectrum of the court. His years on the court have convinced me that mostly he believes in Justice Anthony Scalia. I hate to admit this but I am in the same place with nominee Sotomayer.

Now in her case there is a trail of decisions she made in the Circuit Court of Appeals. I have not looked at any more than a few cases. I am sure others will do a far reaching analysis of her decisions so we can see exactly what is her judicial philosophy? Does she think the Constitution protects a women's right to privacy? I don’t know and that’s the heart of Roe V Wade. In a number of decisions involving police officers Sotomayer tilted toward the cops overturning lower courts favoring the plaintiffs. Is she an authoritarian because she grew up in an disorderly lawless community and now is a law and order compulsive? Don’t know the answers just got lots of questions.

Thurgood Marshall, was nominated as the first Black to sit in the Supreme Court. He was an absolute known entity. He had been a civil rights lawyer for all of his professional life. He brought that same commitment with him to the court. We knew exactly what we were getting up front. In the present case of Sonia Sotomayer I am not at all sure about what to expect from her. Especially since a number of Republicans are saying they are just going to let the nomination go.

I must admit I don’t remember any administration were I had so many “we’ll sees” as I have with this one. I just don’t know what our President believes in other than trying to get everyone to go along. It’s referred to as “pragmatism.” Is that just seeing what you can get the opposition to agree to and if they don’t just drop it or compromise it beyond recognition? We’ll see?

Thanks Kate N/H.W.Y.

1 comment:

Didi said...

Hi Bob
Just to say, dear Bill K. just turned me on to your blog and boy, am I glad! Been scrolling through your posts, and just like I said to BK after the Brecht Forum, "Bob Schrank is the youngest person in the room." ANY room. Why is that? Because you question everything, even the most well-received wisdom (eg, Sonia Sotomayor) and that keeps the rest of us honest and the right questions alive. Hope we'll see you soon, Didi G